ADSM-L

Two Admin questions

1994-04-18 13:38:18
Subject: Two Admin questions
From: Barry Fruchtman <bf AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 10:38:18 MST
Ref:  Your note of Sun, 17 Apr 1994 15:34:34 EST

>> 1) Is there a way for DSMSERV (on VM; substitute accordingly for other
>> platforms) to asynchronously tap me on the shoulder when DSMSERV comes to a
>> grinding halt because, say, the tape pools are full and one or more clients
>> will hang for eight or more days until I notice on my own that that tape
>> pool needs more tapes added to it?  I'd even settle for it grabbing my
>> attention the next time I connect to the server as an administrator, but
>> I'd prefer e-mail to me or maybe CP MSGs to the OPERATOR (on an hourly
>> basis, perhaps, while the condition persists) that DSMSERV needs some human
>> intervention.

With the release 2 servers (AIX and OS/2) and the release 2 AIX
admin console client, you can pipe the output into a program or
shell script that can evaluate the messages and take action on
them.  I know it doesn't help you right now on the VM server;
This is an item on our list of todos, but beyond that, there
is no timeframe for implementation.

 Barry Fruchtman
 ADSM Server Development