ADSM-L

MacWeek articles on enterprise wide backup technology

1994-04-15 18:39:00
Subject: MacWeek articles on enterprise wide backup technology
From: Ken Rosenberry 814 865 4763 <HKR AT PSUVM.PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 18:39:00 EDT
In the 04.04.94 issue of MacWeek there are two articles.  One called,
"Few solutions to cross-platform backup" on page 12 and another
article titled, "Motorola moving toward cross-platform backup" on
page 14.

The former article states:

     Ray Chaple, network engineer at Honeywell Space Systems Group
     in Clearwater, Fla., manages 130 AppleTalk zones.  He also has
     number of DOS-based servers and Unix workstations.  "Our pie in
     the sky is a Unix box that could back up everything over TCP/IP,"
     he said.

     Unfortunately, Chaple's pie hasn't yet been baked.  So he does
     his Mac backups with NetStream from Personal Computer Peripheral
     Corp., of Bloomfield, Conn., and uses a combination of home
     brewed and commercial products for his Unix and PC backups.

The later article quotes John Middleton of Motorola:

     I'm crying for cross-platform backup solutions--there are not
     really any for Macs, PCs, and Unix", said Middleton, computer
     technology administrator for Motorola Microprocessor and Memory
     Technology Group's advanced packaging and assembly manufacturing
     organization in Austin, Texas.

The article goes on to state:

     Middleton still finds himself expending energy convincing some
     users to back up at all, so making the process more automatic and
     easier to administrate would be a relief.

Now I don't know if ADSM would be as much of a 'thing of beauty' to
these two administrators as it is to us here at PSU, but I think
someone in the IBM promotional department should 1) send a short
letter to MacWeek explaining that a decent cross-platform backup
facility does currently exist and that is in place in many locations,
and 2) should contact the persons mentioned in the MacWeek articles
to see if ADSM would be a solution to the backup problems these
people have.