ADSM-L

OS/2 client install

1994-04-07 18:37:43
Subject: OS/2 client install
From: MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 15:37:43 PDT
Ref:     Append Mon, 4 Apr 1994 20:42:33 GMT by Bill Colwell

|    I have just pulled down the V1R2 OS/2 client from
| INDEX.STORSYS.IBM.COM (Thanks IBM!) and I want to install it in a new
| folder and not overlay my current client.  Could someone from IBM
| please tell me how to control the install tool to do this?

Bill,

  There are two ways to do this, depending on which version of the
client is the one you want to run in "production" mode:

  1. If you want to just save your current client for safekeeping
     and start using the new version right away:
     a. Copy the current client to a new directory or folder using
        something like xcopy or copy.
     b. Install the new client into the folder where the current
        client is now using the install utility

  2. If you want to keep using your current client in "production"
     mode and just install the new version to play with:
     a. Go into your \os2\system directory and delete the three
        files that begin with EPF.  There should be only three.
     b. Run the install utility, specifying a directory other
        than the directory with your current client.
     c. Make sure you do not let the install utility automatically
        update your config.sys (say no when it asks)
     d. Whenever you want to play with the new version, update
        the config.sys parameters that have ADSM values
        (PATH, DPATH, LIBPATH, DSM_CONFIG, DSM_DIR, DSMG_CONFIG,
         DSMG_DIR, DSMG_FONT, I think that's all) to point to
        the new directory.  Save the old config.sys to restore
        when you want to go back to the current production version.

 You can have problems if your config.sys points to one version of
 the client and you are trying to run another version, due to
 incompatibility of message files, etc., so make sure your config.sys
 points to whichever version of ADSM you are trying to run.

 Have fun!
               -- MJ Lopatin
                  ADSM Client Development