ADSM-L

mac client how is it supposed to work

1994-03-21 16:44:35
Subject: mac client how is it supposed to work
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 16:44:35 EST
I should start by saying that I am not a mac person.

In the ADSM Read Me file for the ptf IP20126 it says

  If the file is named "ADSM Preferences", you may double-click the
  "ADSM Backup" icon. Otherwise, double-click the preferences file or drag it
  onto the "ADSM Backup"

Well for me, with this system 7.0.1 mac, this did not work quite this way.
Clicking on the "ADSM Backup or Schedule" icon resulted in a msg that the
"ADSM Preferences" file could not be found. Double-clicking on the preferences
file did start up ADSM.

1) So is this something that I did wrong?

2) The people that know more about macs then I do talk about having all the
   preference files in a central location. With the drag and drop of
   different preference files, I guess that this would be hard for ADSM.
   Is ADSM breaking a mac convention with their end-user design. If so,
   is this good or bad.

3) It would seem a lot easier if one could just double click on the
   ADSM Backup icon, if one wanted the default Preference file.
   The "User's Guide and Reference for Apple(tm) Macintosh(tm) Release 1"
   seems to say that one can do this if one is using system 6.x but not
   system 7. Is this an mac architecture design feature?

4) If one was not installing the ptf, how would one upgrade the existing
   software. Would one just insert the ptf disks one by one, open the
   diskette folder and drag the contents on top of the existing ADSM
   folder? Could one install the software on one mac and then restore
   the files to mac 2 thru n? Could this be done from an remote initiated
   job?

5) Does anyone use other methods then the ADSM scheduler to manage backups.
   For example schedule a procedure which might start a inc backup, then
   after the backup is finished send the log to another server for
   auditing. Is it possible to schedule this proccess from another server
   not on the mac being backed up?
   That is have a remote server startup a client backup, then wait for
   backup log to be sent to it. Check the backup log for any errors.
   If the server was really smart it could monitor the adsm server
   checking for the backup session start and stop. If the events did not
   happen within configurable window of time, it could check out the
   network and try to restart the backup job. Any serious problems could
   be reported to operations staff.

Thanks len boyle
       snolen AT vm.sas DOT com