ADSM-L

Re: more questions

1994-03-16 17:10:02
Subject: Re: more questions
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:10:02 EST
Ron wrote, in part..
> The following questions relate to a VM server, OS/2 and DOS clients.
>
> Since ADSM doesn't allow for tape mirroring, are the tapes in a format
> that will allow for a tape to tape copy?

   Yes, in fact the MOVE DATA server command will move the data from
   one tape to another.  But the command you might use to make a second
   set of tapes is EXPORT NODE.  We have found it an extremely slow
   command (anything is slow on the server).  A recent test of mine
   dumped one AIX machine with 60,000 or so files to 6 3490 cartridges.  It
   took several, no, make that many, hours (7).

> How does ADSM determine which files to backup for an incremental
backup?

   Changed and new files are backed up (since previous incremental).

> If it uses a file date which one does it use?

   Can't help; I don't speak OS/2 well :-)

> If you have to restore to a new machine, do the disk drive names on the
> new machine have to match the old disk drive names?

   No, you can restore to a directory of your choosing.

> What is the minimum software required to do a full restore to a new
> machine? (using tcp/ip communication)

   Not sure of exact answer, but you need to install enough of OS/2 to run
   TCP/IP and the ADSM client.

> What is the maximum file name length for files being backed up?
>
> When a file is restored, are the file access rights also restored?
>
> We currently keep 4 daily, 4 weekly, and 4 quarterly backups. Our
> LAN server administrator would like to keep the same type of routine.
> How can we use ADSM to obtain this type of system?

   You can't.   Go through the archives of this list reading about
   "point-in-time" restore.  ADSM cannot do it.  Some have said the archive
   function can do it, but it cannot.  EXPORT NODE lets you manually do
   this, but you manage the tapes and running yourself.  EXPORT NODE is
   so slow that you couldn't use it for much, even if you wanted to.   IBM
   has suggested that "point-in-time-restore" is of some interest future to
   them.  If it is for you, let them know!

   By the way, depending on the implementation, 4 daily/ weekly/
   quarterly backups means that ADSM database space is 12 times what it
   normally is.  And it is normally huge at about 700 bytes per file.  If you
   do database mirroring (who dares not to?), that would be an incredible
   700*2*12 or 16,800 bytes of database per file.  God doesn't have that
   much disk space.  :-(

cheers,

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE