ADSM-L

more questions

1994-03-16 13:31:29
Subject: more questions
From: Ron Ritchey <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 12:31:29 CST
The following questions relate to a VM server, OS/2 and DOS clients.

Since ADSM doesn't allow for tape mirroring, are the tapes in a format
that will allow for a tape to tape copy?

How does ADSM determine which files to backup for an incremental backup?
If it uses a file date which one does it use?

If you have to restore to a new machine, do the disk drive names on the
new machine have to match the old disk drive names?

What is the minimum software required to do a full restore to a new
machine? (using tcp/ip communication)

What is the maximum file name length for files being backed up?

When a file is restored, are the file access rights also restored?

We currently keep 4 daily, 4 weekly, and 4 quarterly backups. Our
LAN server administrator would like to keep the same type of routine.
How can we use ADSM to obtain this type of system?

Thanks for you response in advance...

* Ronald W. Ritchey                    Internet: OSG0312 AT unlvm.unl DOT edu *
* Systems Programmer/Analyst           BITNET:   OSG0312@unlvm         *
* University of Nebraska               Phone:    (402)472-7605         *