ADSM-L

Re: Post questions

1994-03-15 17:50:34
Subject: Re: Post questions
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 17:50:34 EST
On Tue, 15 Mar 1994 15:13:43 UTC Ron Ritchey said:
>Does ADSM have a reporting facility? We need reports displaying the
>files that were backed up or archived, and the storage space used
>by each user.

The GUI client doesn't keep any kind of log that I can see, which I think
is a small weakness.  The command line client does keep a log of errors,
ie. files that don't get backed up for some reason.  This is stored in
DSMERROR.LOG and is very useful.  However, I too wanted a log of what was
backed up.  I found that the OS/2 pipeline works well for this.  For example,
I have a REXX exec that issues the following:

'DSMC I c: -password=xxxxx >> backup.log'

That will run an incremental on my C: drive and place the output in the
file "backup.log".  It works great.  I then LPR the file to our VM system,
where it will be archived and inspected for important errors.

If anyone is interested in seeing my exec, for ideas, etc., I'll be happy
to post it or send it to you privately.  Let me know.

Martha