ADSM-L

Re: Valid PC TCP/IP software

1994-03-08 10:11:49
Subject: Re: Valid PC TCP/IP software
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 09:11:49 -0600

Pete said:

> This is only true for the ADSM MS-Windows client !!!
> It is not true for either the DOS or OS/2 clients.

I'm running the DOS client with FTP Software's PC/TCP. It
works fine -- and happens to be one of the supported platforms.
His question was 'Do I have to buy the IBM TCP/IP product?', and the
answer is 'No, other stacks work too'.

> Since no binary
> compatible API like WinSock exists for either DOS or OS/2, the only
> TCP/IP stacks which will work are those which IBM has officially
> announced support for.

Now *this* I'll agree with.

> It would be nice if WinSock existed for platforms other than Windows (and NT)
> but unfortunately, at the present time at least, it does not.

It would be even nicer if there was a *true* socket programming
interface instead of WinSock.

> Pete Tanenhaus
> ADSM Client Development

David Boyes