ADSM-L

Re: Service

1994-02-11 15:00:59
Subject: Re: Service
From: Richard Hintz <Richard.Hintz AT UCOP DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 12:00:59 -0800
>Well, someone from the ADSM service team will have to comment on the
>exact specifics of ordering...
>
>My comment was more of "if you need it, tell us, and we will do the
>best we can to get it to you as soon as we can."

Ok, just for fun I used IBMLink SIS to look up ADSM APARs closed PER for
the VM server.  There are some which can be ordered, but many (maybe most)
can't be ordered because they're flagged "No PTF Planned."  I find it
amusing that the invariable recommendation in the APAR text is "Apply PTF
that resolves this problem when available."

Here are some things which the ADSM folks may want to think about:
--ADSM is just one of many products at the typical site and sites want to
service products in a consistent way.
service products in a consistent way.
--Sites have invested a lot of training time and money in IBMLink to
expedite the service process.
expedite the service process.
--Obtaining available service by calling support is a waste of time when
you can use IBMLink SRD.  As far as I know, it's the only way of obtaining
you can use IBMLink SRD.  As far as I know, it's the only way of obtaining
fixed electronically.

Service should be made available through the normal IBMLink method.  In
order to achieve any kind of productivity in maintaining systems I need to
exploit tools like IBMLink.  I don't want to have Yet Another Oddball
Service Delivery Mechanism (a registered TM of IBM).
--
Richard Hintz    Richard.Hintz AT ucop DOT edu
Richard Hintz    Richard.Hintz AT ucop DOT edu