ADSM-L

[no subject]

1994-02-11 12:30:49
From: "Wayne C. Hineman" <hiney AT ALMADEN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 09:30:49 PST
Subject: Re: DSMOP and the VM SMSG interface to ADSM/VM

> But has anyone else noticed you get entirely different results from the
> same command if you use SMSG then it you are the SCIF and use SEND ?????

Most of our command output is geared toward an 80-column output
display window.  If the output window width is less than 80 columns, the
output is presented in a "vertical" format instead of the usual "horizontal"
format.  In fact, if you have a wide enough window, even the format=detail
output will come out "horizontal".  On VM, the SMSG interface checks whether
the server is using MSG or MSGNOH and uses either 48 columns or the standard
width, respectively.  The 48 takes into account the message header.

So, if your server is using CP MSG, you're seeing the "vertical" format.  But
when you use SCIF/SEND, you're sending a command through the console, which
uses the standard console line width (79 on VM).

> Seems like a OPT parm like REPLYOP , maybe called ADMIN, would be nice.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  As Wayne Smith pointed out,
if you register the name of a REPLYOP as an administrator, you have the
full power of an administrative client via the SMSG interface.  You can
use GRANT AUTHORITY to limit the privilege class, just like any other
adminstrator.

Wayne Hineman
IBM Almaden Research Center