ADSM-L

Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?

1994-02-01 07:56:12
Subject: Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?
From: "Smith, Dean" <DSMITH8 AT IS.ARCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 12:56:12 GMT
> " I've just discovered my machine is badly infected by the xyz virus and I
> need to wipe-out my hard disk, re-partition, re-format and restore it
> as of the day before I tried that new wiz-bang ShareWare game my daughter
> gave me."

> I think 1 new restore option and a simple subroutine to decide what version to
> restore can surely be written into a future release, no?

1)  Shouldn't they be using a virus protection facility?  If not, why not.
Using backups as a virus protection facility more expensive and time consuming
than using a virus protection facility.

2)  Virus protection programs will usually detect and clean up the infected
modules.  Reformating the whole disk isn't necessary.

3)  The restore screen gives you the last modified date.  Consquently, since
your user knew which date their drive was infected they should be able to
selectively restore the infected modules.  If option (2) wasn't available.

That is not to say that it ADSM clients shouldn't be capable of performing virus
detection, much the same way that HARBOR does.  If your real concern is virus
protection then you would want virus protection rather than point-in-time
restore.

Dean Smith
ARCO Exploration & Production Technology
214.754.6415
dsmith8 AT is.arco DOT com