ADSM-L

Problem running on OS/2

1994-01-20 15:16:07
Subject: Problem running on OS/2
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 15:16:07 EST
I'm trying to run ADSM on an OS/2 machine that is also running the LAN
Server software (among other things) and am running into some problems.
First, in the log, I see a number of files that do not get backed up due
to "access being denied".  The message is normally "ANS4090E Access to the
specified file or directory is denied".  Most of the time the files are off
of the Desktop subdirectory.  I am running the ADSM command line interface,
DSMC INCREMENTAL.  Is there any special priviledges that the ADSM program
needs in order to backup a system like this?

The second problem is more severe.  DSMC has started to abend, after working
fine several months ago.  The abend is an access violation.  The first time
it occured, the backup had been going for about 30 minutes.  I tried again,
and it appeared to abend at the same time.  Today, I tried it again, and
the program abended right away.  It didn't appear to backup any files this
time.  I tried a second time and the same thing happened.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Could some other software on
this server be impacting ADSM?  There are multimedia and CD software packages
as well as LAN Server.  Is anyone successfully backing up OS/2 LAN Servers
using ADSM?  Any information would be helpful.

Martha

Abend information:

We get a window saying that DSMC.EXE has stopped due to an access
violation at 0006:000356B2.  The following are the registers:

P1=00000000  P2=FFFFFFFF  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=00000000  EBX=000000E8  ECX=00000190  EDX=00000106
ESI=D02FCC03  EDI=00005FF9
DS=0227D  DSACC=00F3  DSLIM=0000717F
ES=012F  ESACC=00F3  ESLIM=00000033
FS=150B  FSACC=00F3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=001F:000056B2  CSACC=00FB  CSLIM=0000D217
SS:ESP=0227:00005F46  SSACC=00F3  SSLIM=0000717F
EPB=00005F52  FLG=00012216

When I request to end the program, I receive the following message on the
screen:

SYS1811: Process stopped.  Software Diagnostic code (trap number) is 000D.