ADSM-L

Re: Mount Command for loading SUN OS ADSM Client

1994-01-03 17:54:31
Subject: Re: Mount Command for loading SUN OS ADSM Client
From: "Stephen E. Bacher" <seb AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 17:54:31 -0500
Quoth Bob Klein <KL2%NIHCU.bitnet AT yalevm.ycc.yale DOT edu>:

>I am trying to install the adsm client software for SUN OS on
>my SPARC 2 workstation.  When I try to mount the disk, I keep
>getting the message Invalid argument or I/O error.  I have
>gotten the Invalid argument message previously when attempting
>to mount a CDROM that was not in High Sierra format without
>giving -t as hsfs.  To mount the adsm install disks, I used
>-t 4.2.  From the man page for mount there does not seem to
>be a reasonable alternative.  Has anyone successfully gotten
>the SUN ADSM client installed on a SUN OS 4.1.x system?  If so,
>could you please tell me what is the proper mount comnand to use?

You shouldn't be trying to "mount" the disks in the Unix sense.
The disks contain the ADSM files in tar format, so you should just do
what it says in the Unix User's Guide:  insert the diskettes and type
the relevant tar command (e.g. tar xvf /dev/rfd0c).

I guess the documentation used the word "mount" in the sense of
insertion into the drive.  Probably IBM should change this, since it
has the potential to confuse Unixers.

 - seb

Btw, I've installed the contents of the ADSM disks on our local Unix
file server and put together an "install-adsm" script for use on our
system, so that users can just type the script and go, provided they
have NFS access to the file server and are registered.  Sure makes
installations less of a headache for us support folk.

 - s