ADSM-L

Murphy's law ... always prevails with backup systems.

1993-11-15 18:31:00
Subject: Murphy's law ... always prevails with backup systems.
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio {510} 642-7638 {w}" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 15:31:00 PST
Well the inevitable has occured.  Our operators 'stepped on' two tapes.
I won't bore you with the real details.

But again this points up the fact they we MUST HAVE a twinning system as well
as the export facility.  Twinning being more automatic and less labor
intensive than planning and executing exports every n days.
I can appreciate the exporting capability for vault storage but its just
too labor intensive as a twinning replacement.

One of the things I've discovered is how the command response of ADSM
is as UNUSABLE as SPTAPE's.  (VMers can appreciate this.)

I'm am presently trying to save off the complete list of all files on the tape.
The command to do this is Query Content.  The command response
for CMS only comes back to the
console (I'm  relying on SecUser/SCIF).  IUCVTRAP fails (it gets overloaded)
The file list generates over 30K of records using FORMAT=DETAILED.  I'm using
DETAILED because I want to know if the file is CACHED.    Sigh.

If anyone has a PIPE to trap this stuff or any other tools I would very
much appreciate it.   I need very bad to have an accurate record of what users
have been screwed, etc.

My next step is to delete the volume with a force on the data.
And get the users to 'quick' run a backup.
Any comments?
 thanks .. joe.f.