ADSM-L

Re: VM or MVS ... that's the question

1993-11-11 16:28:36
Subject: Re: VM or MVS ... that's the question
From: "K. M. Peterson" <KMP AT LOGOS.CV DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 16:28:36 -0500

>Personally I tend to install ADSM in VM, because I think that MVS should do
>a good job for DB2- and CICS-applications but nothing else. VM I'd like to
>use as a mainframe-server-system. But maybe that's a question of religion ...
>
>Are there any expiriences about ADSM-installations in VM and MVS ? Where are
>the differences ? Where are the benefit ?

I wasn't going to respond to this, except that I've just walked in from a
Sterling Software seminar (f/k/a Systems Center; f/k/a VM Software).

Sterling, like IBM and everyone else, is trying to reposition the VM
central system as an enterprise server.  In discussing futures (which was
at a public forum, so I have no qualms about revealing it here), they
talked about functionality to expand the management capabilities of VM out
to networks and workstations, meaning, support of functions like those
provided by ADSM.

I asked whether Sterling intended to compete with ADSM, and the reply was
"No", that they intended to work "with" ADSM.  They with to bring data
management services on the backup and archive end of things to
workstations, and this to me means that a interface between VM:Backup,
VM:Archive and ADSM will be developed.

This may or may not strike you as "good news" depending on how you view
VM:Backup.  To me, it looks like a very logical extension of their business
and IBM's stated direction (and the introduction of ADSM).  (Ross
Patterson, do you read this list?)

On the other side: as much as a VM fan as I am, I wonder how successful
this is going to be.  MVS has a lot going for it, and I'm not sure that
_today_ ADSM doesn't fit more in the MVS "philosophy".

Remember: there's a _lot_ you can do with VM vis-a-vis customization, that
is, easily modifying stuff like tape interfaces with Rexx exits, &c.  It's
just that in this case, users can't tell under what SCP ADSM is running...
and the most powerful feature of VM aside from it's guest capabilities, is
that user interface.

K. M. Peterson
Computervision Corp.