ADSM-L

Re: comparison studies ?

1993-10-07 13:48:00
Subject: Re: comparison studies ?
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio {510} 642-7638 {w}" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 10:48:00 PDT
I don't think the about of disk space taken up is that big a problem.
Macs tend to have more disk space then they need.  (There were great
howls of laughter/anguish when our clerical staff bought Centris' with
200 meg hard disks, and in the end some of them got 4 meg ram that they
couldn't run tn3270 on at the same time they had something else open)

The background process taking up 1 meg of ram is the real issue.
Can't the Scheduler be a 50K stubb that launches the 'real' program
at the appropriate time and /or on the appropriate signal from the server??

Most macs here are system 7 or are converting to 7 as we speak.  A lot of
people in my division have recently traded in their Mac+'s for LC III's
or better.  BUT they only come with 4 megs of ram!

I planned on backing up clerical people's Macs during the normal 9-5 shift
maybe even more than once or twice.  SO the power-off feature is not critical
to me right now.    But if my plans don't work ....
I'm assuming that the Scheduler, et al don't run so busy on the Macs that
people can't use them.  This was the case with WDSF/VM that made it B.A.D.
(broken as designed).   :-)

thanks .. joe.f.