ADSM-L

non-IBM 3270 card support

1993-10-05 18:34:13
Subject: non-IBM 3270 card support
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 18:34:13 EDT
The question you should be asking is "Is the 3270 emulation software I
am using supported by ADSM ?"

Currently, the ADSM Windows client only supports IBM PC3270W v3.0 and
above.

The ADSM DOS client supports PC3270 v2.0 and above and Attachmate/Extra!
for DOS.

The Attachmate DOS emulator does support a variety of different cards
including cards manufactured by DCA/IRMA.

Since our client will only work with cards that support DFT mode (no CUT)
emulation the only IRMA card that Attachmate supports which will
work with our DOS client is the IRMA-3 card configured to behave
like an IBM 3279 card. This configuration is done with software that
comes with the card.

As for the Windows client, I believe that the latest version of PC3270
for Windows (v3.0) only supports IBM cards. I suspect, but cannot promise
or confirm, that future versions may be able to support non-IBM cards.

Also, I've not seen a 3270 Windows emulator other than the IBM product
which contains the level of API support that ADSM requires. Many customers
have expressed interest in the Attachmate Windows emulator (which like it's
DOS counterpart supports non-IBM cards) in particular. We have provided
Attachmate with the technical API requirements for ADSM and they are supposed
to be making a determination as to whether this support will be added to
their Windows product. If this support does become available there a high
probability that we would add Attachmate support to the ADSM Windows client.

In addition, we are looking at possibly supporting other Windows/DOS 3270
emulation software in future releases. If you have a specific requirement
append it to this forum and I'll make sure it gets added to our list.

Hope this helps answer your questions ....

*** Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development ***