nv-l

Re: [NV-L] NetView Device Name Attributes

2007-09-24 20:08:32
Subject: Re: [NV-L] NetView Device Name Attributes
From: ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks James.

  I'm using nvdbformat to create an inventory of all devices in NetView.  My
output shows some devices with their management IP address used as their
Selection Name and their host name used as their IP Hostname.  Demand Poll
didn't resolve the Selection Name to a host name and we're using /etc/hosts for
resolution followed by DNS.

  I've also noticed that some HSRP virtual IP addresses are being represented
as a Node, which is throwing our total device count off.

  Stephanie

James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com> wrote:
    What are you really trying to find out here? What problem are you trying to
solve?

netmon chooses these names based on what you have set up in your network, and
uses them to create objects and fields on those objects in the object database.

Remember that NetView represents devices as objects in a set of interconnected
databases. And there are lots of things besides devices (networks, segments,
interfaces, smartsets, etc.) in those databases. "Selection Name" is the
internal name NetView uses for one of those objects, and how they are
constructed is determined by what kind of an object we are talking about.

If name resolution (DNS, etc/hosts, what have you) is active, then netmon will
determine the name of a device by using the system routine gethostbyaddr. This
value is then used for IP Hostname and IP Name, which are often the same. And
the Selection Name will then be set as something like "myhost.mydomain.com" in
the object database instead of just an IP address. If these devices respond to
SNMP then the interface name is returned by a query of the MIB-2 interface
table, so that interface Selection Names become something like
"myhost.mydomain.com:en0". Otherwise, it's all just a number from that table.
Similarly routerSysName is determined by SNMP based on what the router responds
when queried.

If you had no name resolution and no SNMP, all your device objects would be
individual IP addresses and your map would look very strange because then
netmon would have to guess about how everything is connected.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
" src="http://us.f527.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Upload?Data=upl1935951530"; width=16
border=0>ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>

                ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com   09/24/2007 04:43 PM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
  cc

  Subject

[NV-L] NetView Device Name Attributes
All,
We're running NetView 7.xx on Solaris and I'd like to know how is "Selection
Name", "IP Hostname", "IP Name", and "routerSysName" determined? Why so many
ways to get the devices name and where are the names used in NetView? Right now
I can see some of these names when I run Display Object Information on our
devices.

TIA,
Stephanie

internal IBM'ers only)