nv-l

RE: [NV-L] bandwidth charge back?

2006-07-06 13:37:32
Subject: RE: [NV-L] bandwidth charge back?
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:34:15 -0400
David,
NetView can perform SNMP data collection from each and every interface on a router.
If each department is on a separate sub-network/interface, then it can capture ALL the traffic.
If you only want to monitor Port:80 Internet traffic you will need to look into other products.
You probably have Port:80 intranet traffic as well, that you do not want to do charge back for.

I believe you need to look for an appliance that can be plugged into a "span" port on a core switch that "sees" all traffic.
Then, decides if it is intranet or Internet and the source IP (department).

I am not making any recommendations, but we are looking at a product from Compuware, but there are many other quality products on the market that can do this for you.  You may want to take a closer look at IBM's Micromuse/Netcool suite of products.

Don Davis