nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Traps still showing for device with SNMP traps disabled

2004-02-19 09:18:40
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Traps still showing for device with SNMP traps disabled
From: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E AT cat DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:11:22 -0600
I also have a slew of Cisco 6500 switches that are denying SNMP request
from my management servers. This is happening randomly, so it could work
fine all day long and then suddenly bang SNMP request is denied and NetView
reports the device down. I have also done a packet capture with a sniffer
and can see no incorrect community strings. I also see the SNMP
authentication failed traps go out in the traces. I have my Advanced
Services engineer at Cisco working on this as I think it is a bug in IOS.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e AT cat DOT com

                      "Barr, Scott"

                      <Scott_Barr@csgsy

                      stems.com>

                      Sent by:

                      owner-nv-l@lists. To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>

                      us.ibm.com        cc:

                      02/19/2004 07:49

                      AM                  Subject:      RE: [nv-l] Traps still
showing for device with SNMP traps disabled
                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 03/20/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

I have a Cisco router doing this - I have run snoop traces from the NetView
server and caught both port 161 and 162. I *NEVER* see a wrong community
string go out but I get groups of 4 or 5 authentication failures (pointing
out the netview server as the cause). I am clueless on it but it sounds
like your problem. I also will look for a dupe address.