nv-l

Re: [nv-l] nvpage command

2003-12-10 13:27:24
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nvpage command
From: "Chris Coulson" <ccoulson AT ca.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:14:58 -0500
This is how we do all our paging.  In my rulesets, my actions say:

 /usr/OV/bin/nvpage -h 9.29.29.29 5551234@pagerco Page Text.

It has been working for many years.  The question I now have is because,
one of my NetViews is being moved behind a firewall and I need to know what
port and protocol may have to be enabled to allow this command through.

Chris Coulson
Advisory Technical Services Professional
IBM Canada LAN Team
ccoulson AT ca.ibm DOT com

                      James Shanks

                      <jshanks AT us DOT ibm.c        To:       nv-l AT
lists.us.ibm DOT com
                      om>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [nv-l] nvpage
command
                      owner-nv-l@lists.

                      us.ibm.com

                      12/10/2003 01:02

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

I believe that its a TCP stream socket over port 8850, from the nvpage
command on one NetView to the nvpagerd daemon on another.

Why?  Are you thinking of trying to implement a paging server?  It's
theoretically possible but I have never seen it done in the 7 years I've
been here, so you may well be the first.

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

    "Chris Coulson" <ccoulson AT ca.ibm DOT com>

    Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com  nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com

                                                  cc:
                                                  Subject:        [nv-l]
    12/10/2003 12:02 PM                   nvpage command
    Please respond to nv-l

Would anyone be able to tell me what port and protocol the:

/usr/OV/bin/nvpage -h 9.xx.xx.xx

command uses?

Thanks,
Chris Coulson