nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Lag Time

2003-03-21 18:17:22
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Lag Time
From: John Bruer <ad572 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik AT pbsg DOT com>
Date: 21 Mar 2003 16:54:24 -0600
"Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik AT pbsg DOT com> writes:

> Good point Scott. We have made a change recently to our DNS and that
> may be the issue. Do you have a suggestion for testing the response
> from DNS?

There are several things you need to worry about with netview and
DNS.  NetView is extremely picky about DNS response time.

I personally wouldn't run NetView with DNS without having a
caching-only server on the netview box at the very least.  Also make
certain there are PTR records for all the hosts you're getting events
from.  If you search the list archives you'll probably see several DNS
related pointers to heed.

--
jb