nv-l

[nv-l] discovery problems

2003-02-05 06:00:14
Subject: [nv-l] discovery problems
From: Karl PrinelleElyzium <karl_prinelle_elyzium AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:48:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hi List,

NV 7.1.3+Fixpack1, Windows2k.

I'm having trouble with what should be simple discovery of an Enterasys switch.  The switch has a number of blades which are all seperate ip switches in one box.

I've done the following; switch address in seed file, snmpwalk against system, IP, interfaces and AT tables, ping and everything is fine, but netmon just won't add the object to the topology db.  I've confirmed this by using ovtopodump -rl <ipaddr>.  In fact, I've also switched on @limit_discovery in the seed, retained only the switch addresses and cleared the db, restart discovery and then used ovtopodump -rl to dump everything & it's not in there.

I've been through a couple of iterations of getting the switch visible through snmp & below is what I saw - it doesn't lead me to understanding what's wrong though - anyone got a view???

1.  Switch didn't have snmp community string setup, address was in the seed file and netmon found it as a non-snmp node.

2.  I had snmp setup with a known string, put that in the SNMP Polling as a specific address & then I found that the badoids.log file got populated with the device sysOid, but no object appeared in the Badoids smartset or elsewhere on the map.

3.  I did the ovw_fields, snmp_fields, oid_to_type, oid_to_sym stuff and rediscovered, this time no entry in the badoids.log file, but also no object in the map!

4.  If I remove the SNMP community string from polling and rediscover the switch appears ok, but as a non-snmp object.

I'm sure it's something obvious, but I've been through the mailing list archive and the diagnostics book & still no luck.

ta in advance

Karl