nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Trap generation

2003-01-08 04:52:49
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Trap generation
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: awatthey AT mmm DOT com, nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:52:49 +0000
Hi Alan,
Depends a bit on your "other functions". MLM provides an SNMP trap utility which you could call from your other utility if you don't have anything else. I would suggest you send these TRAPs to the loopback address - ie your MLM should pick them up. From there, you can use the MLM Trap Destination Table to simply forward on to NetView (suggest using TCP/162 rather than UDP/162 as more reliable - NetView listens on both). If you want to do fancier things at your MLM, investigate the MLM Filter Table which lets you take action at the MLM and/or forward TRAPs wherever.

Cheers,
Jane

awatthey AT mmm DOT com wrote:

NV 7.1 on Windows 2000 SP2.

I am running the MLM on a remote NT4 box and this box performs other
functions.  I wish to get a trap back from one of these other functions to
the Netview server so that I can process it centrally (eg. perhaps send it
on to the TEC).

Is this possible?  Is there any documentation anywhere as to how I might
achieve this?  Is there anyone else who has done this on Windows and might
be able to share their experiences?

Regards,
Alan.