nv-l

Re: AW: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly

2003-01-07 11:20:28
Subject: Re: AW: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser AT de.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:20:28 +0100
Thankyou Matt, you are right of course....

|         |           Matt.Brozowski@ta|
|         |           vve.com          |
|         |           07.01.2003 17:47 |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       Oliver Bruchhaeuser/Germany/Contr/IBM@IBMDE
                                    |
  |       cc:
                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: AW: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly
                                    |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The "." at the end indicates that the expression should be used for each
instance of the mib with that variable...

So DhcpTest.1 uses 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3.1
       DhcpTest.2 uses 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3.2

Etc..

 Matt Brozowski                                         Tavve Software Co.
 Tavve Software Co.                          One Copley Parkway, Suite 480
 www.tavve.com                                      Morrisville, NC  27560
 Matt.Brozowski AT tavve DOT com                                  +1
919-654-1224
                                                       fax +1 919-380-7147

                      "Oliver Bruchhaeuser"
                      <oliver.bruchhaeuser@        To:
                      nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
                      de.ibm.com>                  cc:
                                                   Subject:  Re: AW: [nv-l]
                      MIB expression does not work correctly
                      01/07/2003 10:51 AM

isn't there a dot too much behind the pdu 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3 ?

|         |           "Mildeberger,      |
|         |           Thorsten"          |
|         |           <thorsten.mildeberg|
|         |           er AT eds DOT com>        |
|         |           07.01.2003 09:35   |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  AW: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Matt,

in my opinion this is really a good idea!

I added the mib expression, that in theory should make the trick, but for
some reason I always get back value "100".

This is the expression, that I added:

DhcpTest \
"100 - noAddfree" \
        100 .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3. -

The snmpCol.trace file doesn´t show any errors or problems. MIB browser
shows correct values for MIB variable "noAddfree".

As a last test I changed the data type of the mib variable (noAddfree) to
"Integer", "gauge", reloaded the dhcp.mib, restarted the snmpCol daemon,
but
this again had not been of help. I´m using Netview 7.1.2 on Solaris.

Any ideas are pretty welcome. Many thanks.

best regards,
> Thorsten Mildeberger
>
> EMS Solutions - SMC Tools & Automation
> GOSD - Central Region
> EDS Deutschland GmbH
> Eisenstr. 43
> 65428 Rüsselsheim
> Tel.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3706
> Fax.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3030

      I don't know if this would be simpler but why not try something like
100 - noAddFree and check for Threshold > 98 (this would imply noAddFree <
2) or something equivalent.

 Matt Brozowski                                         Tavve Software Co.
 Tavve Software Co.                          One Copley Parkway, Suite 480
 www.tavve.com                                      Morrisville, NC  27560
 Matt.Brozowski AT tavve DOT com                                  +1
919-654-1224
                                                       fax +1 919-380-7147

                      "Mildeberger,

                      Thorsten"                  To:
nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
                      <thorsten.mildeberg        cc:

                      er AT eds DOT com>                Subject:  [nv-l] MIB
expression does not work correctly

                      01/03/2003 11:24 AM

Hi all,
sorry for stressing you all up again, but these are really my first
attempts
in the "snmpCollect / mibExpr.conf" area.

I´m working on DHCP monitoring. Therefore I loaded the DHCP.mib and looked
for a way to monitor the amount of "free DHCP addresses". The MIB variable,
that has to be used here best, is named "noAddFree" (number of free
addresses).

problem 1:
is there really no way to use a "less than" operator for specifying
thresholds? I´m lost. All I can see in Netview is this hardcoded "greater
than" symbol. It would be quite easy to compare MIB variable "noAddFree"
against a threshold using a "less than" operator.

problem 2:
I made some testing with a self-made MIB expression. In theory it returns
the amount of DHCP addresses, that are still free. To be able to use the
hardcoded "greater than" operator, the value of this expression is always
negative.

That is the expression:

DhcpStillFree \
"noAddinUse - (noAddFree + noAddinUse)" \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2. \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3. \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2. + -

snmpCollect is gathering data, but for some reason the values shown are
always equal to "0". On the other hand the MIB browser is showing the
correct values for MIB variables "noAddinUse" and "noAddFree", so I´m
wondering a little. Is it also not allowed to use and display negative
thresholds? Hopefully not!

Who can shine some light on me please. Thanks a lot for all your great help
and support!!! I won´t forget it :o)

We are going with Netview 7.1.2.

best regards,
> Thorsten Mildeberger
>
> EMS Solutions - SMC Tools & Automation
> GOSD - Central Region
> EDS Deutschland GmbH
> Eisenstr. 43
> 65428 Rüsselsheim
> Tel.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3706
> Fax.: +49 (0) 6142 80-3030
> mailto:thorsten.mildeberger AT eds DOT com

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)