nv-l

[nv-l] Memory Considerations for AIX NetView Server Installation

2003-01-02 13:14:56
Subject: [nv-l] Memory Considerations for AIX NetView Server Installation
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal AT erac DOT com>
To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:14:56 -0600
Hello Everyone.

NV 7.1.3 on AIX 4.3.3. ML10.

I was doing research on memory considerations. I'm sure I need to buy more
memory for my server but I don't know how much.

In the section entitled "Computing Memory Needs based on Object Count", I
noticed the numbers in the Config. Guide have not changed from 6.0 to 7.1.x.
And I'm aware of the java processes to consider as stated in the Release
Notes. My ovwdb cache setting is 35,000. According to the ovobjprint -S
output, the number of objects defined in the database is 23,500.

Here's a list of processes for a typical NetView (native console) user and
vsz of each.

  user  18028 /usr/OV/jre/bin/java -jar /usr/OV/jars/virtualdesktop.jar
--logconfig /usr/OV/conf/virtualdesktop-log4j.properties
38408
  user  24826 /usr/OV/bin/ipmap
92724
  user  38346 /usr/OV/bin/nvevents
4872
  user  44964 /usr/OV/bin/collmap
764
  user  51694 /usr/OV/bin/dispsub
504
  user  59556 rshd
576
  user  59940 /usr/OV/bin/backup
772
  user  60886 /usr/OV/jre/bin/java -jar /usr/OV/jars/maptreeserver.jar
--logconfig /usr/OV/conf/maptreeserver-log4j.properties 22792
  user  66246 /usr/OV/bin/disptec
316
  user  89140 ksh /usr/bin/netview
412
  user  90408 /usr/OV/bin/ovw
60800
  user  93550 /usr/OV/bin/ovhelp
552

I used ps -ef -o user,pid,args,vsz | awk '/user/ && !/awk/' to get the list.

I used ps-ef -o user,pid,args,vsz | awk '/user/ && !/awk/ {sum +=
$NF}END{print sum}' to get the totals.

The total is 223,492K. The ovw process alone is 60,000K.

Here are my questions:
Are my methods for arriving at these numbers valid?
Should these values in the Config. Guide be updated?
Do these values from my process list seem correct?
How do they compare with other AIX NetView Server installations?

Thanks.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car