nv-l

[nv-l] Managing Red Side Routers in DMZ

2002-10-17 12:43:05
Subject: [nv-l] Managing Red Side Routers in DMZ
From: john.j.mackney AT accenture DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:43:05 +0100
I have been considering how best to manage the routers on the Red Side of
our firewall.

All I actually want to do is poll the routers and send selected events to
TEC on the Green Side.
I have considered two options:

1) Install an MLM in the DMZ
2) Install NetView 7.1.3 on a PC running Linux on the Red Side and
configure its tecint.conf to send TEC events on a specific port. Open this
port on the firewall.

There are problems associated with both of these scenarios
   I do not think the network managers will allow a firewall rule to open
   up ports for SNMP.
   I would have to configure TEC to use a specific port rather than
   allowing it to use its current RPC communications. This would mean that
   all TEC adapters would have to be configured to use this port.

Does anyone have a view on the above.

OK I might be talking out the back of my head here but.... How about this.
Tunnel through the firewall using SSH and send SNMP from NetView to MLM
through this tunnel. Then I would have one NetView, could use MLM and could
forwarding TEC events via standard RPC.
Anyone have any views on this?

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.