nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Root Authority

2002-06-26 13:06:46
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Root Authority
From: "Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig AT principal DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:06:46 -0500
Here we use "sudo" to give me access.  I can do a "sudo ksh" or "sudo su -" and 'become' root.  At this point I can do anything I want, but if something did go wrong, at least they can track things back to my user ID that I logged on with.  With enough work, we could probably make sudo more specific and only allow access to the commands we wanted, etc.

I guess it depends on your organization.  In your case, I would venture a guess that they simply don't trust you enough and think that you might accidentally do damage to something else running on the box.  In my case, I've gained this level of trust and have free reign.