nv-l

Re: Running rexec from a rule driven shell script

2000-10-04 19:00:38
Subject: Re: Running rexec from a rule driven shell script
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ AT banksa.com DOT au>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:30:38 +0930
James

Thanks for confirming my suspicions re the trapd.conf file.

The reasons for all the hoopla with the solaris box are:

1) I do not have a compiler on the AIX boxes and my company does not want to
pay for one event though they spent mega-dollars on Tivoli & Netview and the
AIX boxes. I do have a Sun box which I use for  running MLM and I have full
development tools on that box. I know I could put gcc on the AIX box for
nothing but I haven't - see 4 below.

2) The AIX boxes are in Sydney and I am in Adelaide. The AIX boxes are
"production" boxes running Netview and although I am the only administrator the
remoteness makes it difficult for me if I have to re-boot them for any reason.
The Solaris box is in my office in Adelaide and does not cause a problem if I
have to kill it as Netview will take over the MLM function during the reboot.

3) I can reduce the load on the production AIX boxes and put it on the Solaris
box which is idling most of the time anyway

4) Most importantly of all - It was more of a challenge doing it this way and
after 28 years in IT I still get excited about coding stuff and discovering new
ways of doing things, its what keeps me happy and keeps me away from all that
administrative B... S... that seems to have crept into IT these days.

Cheers & tahnks for your help again. - Gavin Newman

>>> <James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com> 04/10/2000 22:29:54 >>>
>>> The directory required was /usr/OV/PD/cores/actionsvr
Ahh, that makes sense.  The default directory for the process is changed so
that if it cores, that is where the core file will go.

It is the case that the descriptive text in the trapd.conf is only
accessible via xnmtrap, or by browsing the file, it is not sent with the
trap in a ruleset, nor is there an easy way to get it -- it s not kept in a
variable or anything like that.  So there is nothing wrong with doing what
you are doing per se.  The only part I don't get is why there is all this
hoopla with the Solaris box.  I'm sure you have reason but I don't see it
You could just as well access trapd.conf on the NetView box itself and do
all this there, for all I can see.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ AT banksa.com DOT au> on 10/03/2000 08:04:02 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>