nv-l

Re: TEC and Netview

2000-08-24 09:40:47
Subject: Re: TEC and Netview
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:40:47 -0400

The NT TEC  adapter doesn't care what you do with mib2trap.  It uses the
tecad_nv6k* files in \usr\ov\conf to determine what to do.

 In particular, if the enterprise id of these new traps is not in the cds file,
you will have to define it there, and select the data elements (trap variables)
you want sent to TEC.  Probably you will have to define a new class or classes
to get all the data you want sent over. Then you  have to add Filter statements
in the tecad_nv6k.conf to include these new classes in what is sent.  That takes
care of the NetView side. But on the TEC side,  you must make a baroc file and
load that into your TEC rulebase in order for TEC to parse these events when
they arrive.

 I'd start by reading the TEC manual on adapters.  They provide documentation on
all these files and their contents.  The tecad_nv6k one they talk about is their
UNIX one, but the NT one shipped with NetView is a cloned port of that, so all
the same information applies.

There is a TEC configurator executable shipped with 6.0 but it is seriously
broken.  I wouldn't use it until you 6.0 or you will probably have to rebuild
the conf file by hand anyway.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Daniel Lehman <dlehman AT hurricanetechgroup DOT com> on 08/24/2000 07:39:34 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>