nv-l

Re: reg Netview for Unix

2000-02-22 12:43:31
Subject: Re: reg Netview for Unix
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:43:31 -0500
No, no, no, a thousand times, no.  The NetView client cannot be installed on the
same box as the server and if you force it, you will have to remove them both
and re-install.  You may even have to wipe the disk and re-install the operating
system, because having them both on the same box is a "should-not-occur"
conditions that the remove software is not designed to handle this case.

If you want to put them on the same box, then I can only assume that you do not
understand the function of the NetView client and what it is for.  The purpose
of the client is to reduce the overhead of multiple X sessions on the sever by
transferring to another box the X GUI.  The NetView client is an alternative to
a telnet session on the server.  Because the GUI is on another box, the client
can reduce the processing load on the server.  So even if you could install them
on the same box you would not save any overhead and in fact, you would increase
it over what it would be by simply telneting into the server and exporting the
display back.  That is why you are prohibited from installing the NetView client
on the same box as the server.

The Release Notes are quite specific about what your client choices are.  For
Solaris you can mix-and-match servers and clients with AIX.  This is only
pairing of which this is true.  Digital UNIX requires a Digital Client, and NT
can have only NT clients.

The only kind of client you can have on NT for a UNIX server is the web client
run through a browser.  Strictly speaking, this is not a client in the same
sense as the installed software of the NetView client. Of course, you can
install an emulator on that NT box, something like Exceed, and telnet in that
way, but this is not a supported configuration by NetView, though many folks do
it.  You will have to get it working on your own.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

M Robert Prakash <robertprakash AT CHENNAI.TCS.CO DOT IN> on 02/22/2000
06:13:38 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>