nv-l

AIX - SUN

2000-02-02 11:25:54
Subject: AIX - SUN
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones AT BBANDT DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:25:54 -0500
Hello

        I am responding to your question AIX / Solaris.  The organization I
work for is currently using an F-50 running AIX 4.2.1 with NetView 5.1.1,
Optivity NMS 8.1,SNA-6000,CMS-6000 and TAVVE "a fault correlation software".
We monitor appx 4000 nodes with an average of 15 users.  The machine has 4,
332 MHz RISC processors and 3 gig of memory.  This machine has proven to be
a very stable platform for us however because of growth we plan an upgrade
to an H-70.  Any of the H series machines are rack mount so if you get the
F-50 it is a stand up machine.  I had to do comparisons before justifying
the IBM vice HP and SUN.  For us it came down to maintaining platform
standards and keeping me happy by keeping IBM/AIX equipment.  AIX is cool!!!
Also with keeping to IBM/AIX I never have any compatibility issues with
NetView, Tivoli etc.  I have had OS compatibility issues with
Optivity,'BayNetworks" and StrataView, "Cisco" because those vendors focus
on Sun as "the" platform and are always lagging when it comes to AIX.  As
you can tell I'm a die hard IBM/AIX tech.  Why make it hard on yourself if
your already use to IBM RISC and AIX?

Mark A. Jones
BB&T
Enterprise Management Systems Analyst III
Wilson, N.C. 27893
(252) 246-3301
mjones AT bbtnet DOT com