nv-l

Discovery of web management of 3Com devices.

2000-01-11 05:36:34
Subject: Discovery of web management of 3Com devices.
From: "Hageman, Arjen (A)" <AHAGEMAN AT DOW DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:36:34 -0500
To all.

We have installed Netview Ver 5.1.2 on NT Ver 4.0. We use the seed file to
limit the discovery of our nodes. During implementation, I ran into the
following problems.

*       3Com devices have a web based management functionality. If I enter
the 3Com devices, then Netview does not detect the web server functionality
although the OID has been entered in the OID_TO TYPE (I put the 'W'
identifier behind it) and OID_TO_SYMBOL files.
*       For our remote users we are using RAS to support them. Although we
have entered the OID into both files (see above), Netview put all our RAS
servers into the BadOID smartset. Using the OVOBJPRINT utility I discovered
that Netview puts the OID 1.3.6.1.3.1.1.98 instead of 1.3.6.1.4.1.429.2.
*       Within Dow we are using the IE4.0 Web browser. If I try to use any
functionality of the Netview server via IE4.0, I receive various messages
telling me that there was a script error. I understood that the web
interface of Netview V5.1.2 is based on Netscape, but is there a patch
available for Netview or IE4.0 to be able to work with the Web interface of
Netview ?

I hope that someone is able to help me with these issues. Any help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
A. Hageman
Dow Chemical