nv-l

Re: snmpCollect data...

1999-10-15 11:12:31
Subject: Re: snmpCollect data...
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT USAA DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:12:31 -0500
        1. When I generate the graph for my collected data, I have the
option of
        showing either the maximun, minimun, or average. I am a little
confused
        because I thought that snmpCollect would simple grab the value of
        ifInOctets/ifOutOctets every 30 seconds and store whatever that
value was.
        How/Where is the average, minimum, maximum, values obtained if I am
only
        polling every 30 seconds??

Check out the online help (just select the help button from the NetView
Grapher Line Configuration window); it has a very good explanation of the
min avg. and max values.  It basically only applies when you are trying to
graph lots of collected data.  The Grapher summarizes the data points rather
than display all of the values.  You can control exactly how the data is
summarized.

        2. It would be great if I could somehow add the ifInOctet and
ifOutOctet
        data together, either during the data collection of post data
collection. Is
        there a way to do this within the Data Collection Facility in
Netview ??

Try using a MIB expression and collect on the expression rather than the
individual MIB objects.  If you want to do it after you have collected those
two MIBs, then you could write a script to do it.  You could run
snmpColDump, and pass the output to a simple awk program that adds the two
values together.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA

"I can please only one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow's
not looking good either."
Dilbert's Words of Wisdom