nv-l

Re: Netview and DNS and Reverse DNS

1998-11-12 16:00:49
Subject: Re: Netview and DNS and Reverse DNS
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT USAA DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:00:49 -0600
        >When netview discovers a router and all its interfaces which
interface does it
        >use to label it on the netview map.  Does it use reverse dns lookup
of the first
        >interface it finds and use that name?

        Yes.

        >What is the best way to set up my routers up in DNS and netview
seedfile.

        I have found that NetView does mostly reverse lookups, especially
during discovery, and you should have all IP addresses for your router in
the DNS reverse lookup table.  When NetView does forward name lookups, you
should have a single entry for the IP address of the loopback interface.  If
you do not use loopback interfaces, then put the "interface closest to the
NetView server" in DNS.  The reason for a single entry in the forward table
is that most DNS do round robin lookups, i.e. a different address will be
returned to each name query in a round-robin fashion.  If your DNS does not
do round-robin, then you can ignore this.  DNS administration of different
entries in the forward and reverse tables will probably be your biggest
challenge.  The product we use, QIP, does not currently allow this kind of
control, so we are going to manage the reverse lookup table ourselves, and
use the standard forward table.

        Put the name/address of the loopback interface in the seedfile.  The
only issue that I have seen concerns the "first interface" that NetView
discovers a router by.  This interface is listed first in the database (do
an ovobjprint to check), and NetView/MLM will use this address to
communicate with the device.  If you have your DNS set up like above, then
it doesn't matter which is the first interface.  If you elect not to be
hassled by the reverse lookup table issues, then you need to make sure that
the "first interface" has an IP address in DNS that resolves to the correct
name.