nv-l

Re: Object info change

1998-11-05 04:56:46
Subject: Re: Object info change
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes AT ATS.UK.EDS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:56:46 +0000
Giuliotti, J. P. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a machine that interfaces on two different networks (one token ring,
> one ethernet). It is acting as a gateway between the two for file transfers.
> Netview displays isRouter True in its field ID. How do I change this to
> false? Why? Because it isn't doing any routing on my network and it shows up
> as a router on my IP Map. I would like it to sho up as a node in the
> Ethernet subnet.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> J.P. Giuliotti  - Massachusetts Financial Services
> (617) 954-5684
> JPG AT MFS DOT COM

  I have encountered a related problem.  It does not appear to be possible to
add new capabilities to (or remove existing ones from) an existing object.  The
only way I have found around the problem has been to delete the object from all
maps and then recreate it.  If the object does not exist it is created when you
first add a symbol representing it to a map, and it picks up its default
capabilities from the symbol definition.  I think you also get the opportunity
to change the capabilities before you confirm.

I have been able to do this because my objects are not being auto-discovered,
but I think NetView may rediscover your node/router automatically

If anyone out there knows of a better way to change the capabilities of an
object I would also like to hear it.

Thanks

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK