nv-l

Summary for "RE: NetView NT Q: Configuring netmon to "skip" ipRou teifIndex"

1998-08-14 12:02:44
Subject: Summary for "RE: NetView NT Q: Configuring netmon to "skip" ipRou teifIndex"
From: "Truxton, Stephen" <stephen.truxton AT INTEL DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:02:44 -0700
Hola!  :-)

Thanks to all for your answers, I've included them here below.  However, I
ended up implementing a fix on the router after discussions with our CCIE on
staff.  Our "fix" is to configure the router to ignore requests for the MIB
object by setting up SNMP "views".  I added the following commands to our
router:

        snmp-server view <view-name-here> mib2 included
        snmp-server view <view-name-here> private included
        snmp-server view <view-name-here> ip.21 excluded
        snmp-server community <community-string> view <view-name-here> RO
[access-list]
        snmp-server community <community-string> RW [access-list]

The first two lines allow mib2 queries and cisco mib queries (from the
private branch).  The 3rd line causes the router to ignore queries for
ipRouteTable (*very* large when connected to the Internet via BGP ;).  The
last two lines allow read-only and read-write SNMP queries.  I didn't use a
view in the last line as an example to show you can mix and match.

Stephen Houle suggested:

>Go to the menu pick "Options -> SNMP Configuration".  Enter your routers in
>the "Specific Nodes" list (use the ip address or name matches their
>selection name).  Then for each record, set "Configuration Polling
Interval"

And Tivoli folks said:

>specifying (via Options->SNMP) a bogus
>community string would prevent the node in question
>from being hammered with SNMP requests; you can even
>configure the SNMP retry count to be 1 so that netmon
>won't do excessive retries using the bogus password.
>
>Other than this, all you can do is to UNmanage the
>node, but I don't believe that this is what you
>are looking for.
>
>The bogus password/low retry count will be used by
>netmon for the configuration polls, new-node polls, and
>any demand polls instantiated by the user (via
>Test->Demand Poll).

And the original question was: