Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup change policy attribute question

2014-07-18 09:10:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup change policy attribute question
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:09:55 +0000

As Mikhail states changing the RL setting within a policy only changes backups from that point on.

Changing RL period for the RL itself changes it for all items with that RL.  Although the RL has a period listed it is actually the RL number you see that is stored so changing the RL’s period changes it for all backups with that RL number.

Note that there are multiple retention levels available and the period can be changedon each so you can have multiple RLs with the same retention period.   For example in our environment we only keep our on site backups on deduplication appliance so all the RLs we define for use of the original backups have 2 weeks.

The reason we use multiple RLs each with 2 weeks is because we then vault the images to tape to be sent offsite and have varying offsite retention policies (e.g. 3 months, 9 months, 1 year, infinity).   Vaulting allows one to map the original image RL to a separate duplication RL.