Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup 450TB Oracle Database

2014-04-21 20:34:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup 450TB Oracle Database
From: Mikhail Nikitin <mikhail.nikitin AT gmail DOT com>
To: Anurag Sharma <sharma.anurag AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:34:07 +1000

Speaking strictly from the Data Domain perspective, you may have issues fitting such a database into a single box unless you are running the 990 or a GDA.

The only feasible solution with manageable backup window would be a split mirror backup on the array or VxVM, then depending on the backup schedule, you may need awfully lot of tape drives or a really high-end Data Domian. If you're planning to have daily fills then you need to design a system capable of pushing circa 20TB/hr

I am not sure about the change rate in your case, but in general I would be hesitant to backup such a large DB with one single monthly full: in case of recovery it will take unreasonably long time even with cumulative incremental backups, which are quite effective in Oracle.

WBR, Mikhail