Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] cross platform migration NBU 7.1 Linux to Windows - how?

2013-12-16 11:27:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] cross platform migration NBU 7.1 Linux to Windows - how?
From: tburrell <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:26:59 -0800
I've been involved in moves from Windows to Solaris to Linux.  My advice: this
is a perfect opportunity for your admin to develop some new skills with Linux
to enhance their career options.  I'd leave it on Linux.

I was also afraid once- but no more. I came up as a Windows admin, and had to
learn Linux to run Netbackup. Performance is better IMHO on Linux, and the
stability is much better.

That said- if you insist on moving to Windows- cut Symantec the check.
Especially if you are changing server names. You are hitting the 2 biggest
Things Which Are Simply Not Done in Netbackup: replatform and master server
name change. Not something to undertake if you have a shred of doubt about your
skills with the task. And not the best place to save money.

You can build a new Linux system, but I'd keep the name.  Backup/restore to
change masters within a platform using the same name is not difficult.

Good luck!