Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] read tape barcodes w/smartphone?

2013-12-03 16:30:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] read tape barcodes w/smartphone?
From: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:30:14 -0800
Greetings,

This is probably slightly off-topic, so feel free to point me elsewhere
more appropriate.

I'm wondering if any list members have experience with using a smartphone or
tablet to read tape barcode labels using its builtin camera (i.e. not via an
add-on laser barcode device).  The idea would be to take a quick inventory
of a pile of tapes -- producing a simple text listing of the barcode digits
would be of use for what I have in mind.

A bit of Googling turns up all sorts of apps for use in the grocery-store,
which do price-lookups based on the UPC labels on product packaging, but
I've not found anything more generic.  Sorry, I don't yet actually own
a smartphone or tablet, and I thought it likely that other list members
would have gone down this road already.

Thanks and regards,

Marion