Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage

2013-11-20 21:18:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage
From: SymTerry <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:58:26 -0800
As rusman and tsimerson have pointed out it really depends on your NetBackup
setup. NetBackup organizes tapes by the pool you put them in and the image
retention you set for a backup.

You most likely have the demand for that many tapes. Just because they are in
the scratch pool doesn't mean they are out for the count. NetBackup will keep
them available until they are full of images with the same retention.

The Reason for tapes to have the same image retention, is so that a tape will
have maximized efficiency for the storage. The tape will once again become
available, only when all the images on it expire.  You can disable this and
have different retention on the same tape, but this can backfire as an image
with a 1 week retention could be written to a tape with a 6 month image . That
tape would now be unavailable for 6 months.

As tseimerson said, reply back with your configuration. We would be happy to
help. If you have opened a case with NetBackup support, PM me and let me know
the case number. I will check with the TSE. If not, we can get a case open and
start a webex to look at the environment further.

Terry
Symantec NetBackup Support