Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Clustered Master Server issues with 7.5.0.4 and Solaris 10

2013-09-23 17:08:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Clustered Master Server issues with 7.5.0.4 and Solaris 10
From: tburrell <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:08:05 -0700
I have recently inherited a completely new setup (due to a job change) and I'm
not familiar with clustered masters- hoping I can get some pointers.

The cluster in question is still running backups, but there are a lot of
unprocessed changes to the tape drives and libraries I want to clean up- but I
can't get the Device WIzard to work- in fact none of the device management
components in the GUI are working-they just spin- for over 3 hours before the
Java GUI just shuts down.

The masters and media servers are 7.5.0.4 on Solaris 10. Call this one ClusterA

When I look at the patch.summary of the idle cluster node, it shows that
7.5.0.4 has been installed.

However- vmoprcmd shows the idle cluster node as 6.5.3.1 , and Offline.

A similar working cluster (call him ClusterB) with the same OS and versions
shows the idle cluster node as 7.5.0.4 and Active- So I at least have a picture
of how it ought to look.

In the GUI, the idle master node on ClusterA shows up in the server list as
online with 7.5.0.4, but as type of Client (ClusterB shows idle node as media
server).

It looks to me like the idle node wasn't properly upgraded- I have a support
ticket open on this but I'm hoping someone out there has some thoughts on the
subject. Before I hack away at the cluster, I'm wondering if anyone has any
words of wisdom on where I could look to find something definitive on what's
causing the issue.  So far the Technotes haven't been helping.