Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbackup -w

2013-08-02 11:27:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbackup -w
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:27:16 +0000
Is there a way to make sure the bpbackup command doesn't send return code until
all retries have completed?

Last night we had a backup apparently timeout because it was waiting for a
tape.   It successfully got a tape after an hour but had sent a Status 25 can't
connect on socket before that.    Due to this the bpackup command exited with
that status and took our database out of hot backup even though the backup job
itself had not failed and in fact ultimately finished.   Since DB was not in
hot backup mode this backup is somewhat useless.

It seems it should wait for the job to completely finish and in fact I found
this bug report/fix for earlier version:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66436

Also I'm somewhat surprised that it returned the above status when it did
anyway as the first attempt never shows a failure - it simply shows it waiting
to get the resource and ultimately getting it after about an hour and it is at
that time it sent the status 25.   (That is to say there is no attempt 2 - it
shows attempt 1 as only attempt and active start was as of the time it got the
tape.)

We're running NBU 7.1 on RHEL6 (Master and Media server - the DB we backed up
was on the media server).

Command line we're running to do the backup is initiated from the media server
via cron:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -i -p <policy> -s <schedule> -w 12:00:00

This is only 1 stream and is not multiple jobs so it is not an issue with other
streams completing but rather this 1 stream and 1 job incorrectly exiting the
-w.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the
sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.