Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Unquoted path vulnerability

2013-05-07 17:00:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Unquoted path vulnerability
From: "Reynolds, Susan K." <SUSAN.K.REYNOLDS AT saic DOT com>
To: "Preston, Douglas" <dlpreston AT lereta DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:59:46 -0400
Interesting...thank you Doug.

-----Original Message-----
From: Preston, Douglas [mailto:dlpreston AT lereta DOT com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:54 PM
To: Reynolds, Susan K.; 'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'
Subject: RE: Unquoted path vulnerability

I went through and updated all my registry entries that had
C:\Program Files\ to C:\Progra~1\
This fixes the issue.  I run on a 32 bit OS, on a 64bit OS the 1 in
progra~1
may be a different number.

The real problem is that a person could create a folder called Program
and
load an executable called Fileswhatever in there and the path of the
service
not being quoted may look in c:\Program\ instead of "c:\Program Files\"

Doug Preston