Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain with Storgage Unit group question

2012-11-03 11:03:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain with Storgage Unit group question
From: Daniel Pum <dpum AT DATALINK DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 15:03:29 +0000
I think what you are being told is accurate, but that you have misinterpreted
it slightly.

You can certainly use two (or more) Data Domain OST storage units within a
storage unit group.

Any data written to a Data Domain will be replicated from siteA to siteB via
OST Optimized Duplication (OptDup).
This will happen regardless of whether your policy had the OST storage unit
defined or a storage unit group defined.

What you will not get by using a storage unit group is the concept of "global
dedup" at a site.
Within a site, any backups written to DD1 will NOT be deduplicated against the
backups written to DD2.
Within a single DD, you still get dedup across all images.

If it were my environment, I would try to group based on data type rather than
using a storage unit group and spraying the backups across both DDs within a
site.
Group all the Windows on one and Unix on the other.
Or Databases on one and general filesystems on the other.

You'll need two SLPs - because each SLP needs to specify the source DD and
destination DD.
You will want to maintain the grouping of data (Windows/Unix or
Databases/Filesystems) on the DDs at site B.

-daniel