Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAP System backup ?'s

2012-10-25 09:12:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAP System backup ?'s
From: John Keating <j.keating AT tachi-s DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:12:03 -0400

Hello All,

I have been tasked with the backup and restore of our companies SAP server environment.

This environment consists of VMWare ESXi servers hosting 3 VM?s which have all the SAP ?stuff? installed on them.

My question is this.

The company that has master minded this backup scenario has called for cumulative backup?s every 3 hours to disk and once on Sunday a full cold backup to disk then eventually to tape.

They want to shutdown all VM OS?s to do this full system backup.

It?s my opinion that this seems excessive and a bit risky having the production SAP servers being shutdown and restated each week by mercy of a background script. Not to mention it doesn?t seem right to not rely on the proven retore-abilty that is inherent with VMWare.

Can anyone give me any feedback on why someone would do this or any possible ammo I can come to the table with to try and sway their decision?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,

John Keating

Information Technology

Tachi-S Engineering USA Inc.

O - 248-615-6058

C - 248-613-3283

******************************
** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
******************************

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this E-mail message from your computer.