Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup , Vmware and Netapp

2012-09-06 06:51:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup , Vmware and Netapp
From: Abhishek Dhingra1 <abhishek.dhingra AT in.ibm DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 16:18:41 +0530
Please find my answer :-

1.  Do you need to do file level restores of this VM that has these huge
number of files?  YES, Application owner will very frequently require the
files restoration
2.  About how many and what kind of files (.avi, .mkv, .jpg, etc.) comprise
the "huge number of files"?  PDF AND XML
3.  What is the retention requirements for the VM?  Hours, days, weeks,
years?  DATA REQUIEMENT IS 8 YEARS RETENTION FOR FULL BACKUP AND 3 MONTHS
FOR INCREMENTAL
4.  How does the VM see the disks:  via Diskstore or RDM? DISKSTORE ONLY

As you have suggested Netbackup have a feature for backing up VMDK, But
that requires equal amount of space in the datastore. Please correct me if
i am wrong.

Rgds
Abhishek Dhingra
OLM ID : A1384552
Email : abhishek.dhingra AT in.ibm DOT com
I will WIN not Immediately but definitely :)

             tsimerson
             <nbu-forum@backup
             central.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu,
             veritas-bu-bounce                                          cc
             s AT mailman.eng DOT aub

             urn.edu                                               Subject
                                       [Veritas-bu]  Netbackup , Vmware
                                       and Netapp
             09/05/2012 06:46
             PM

             Please respond to
             VERITAS-BU@mailma
             n.eng.auburn.edu

There are several factors here that will help determine what technologies
you should look at:

1.  Do you need to do file level restores of this VM that has these huge
number of files?
2.  About how many and what kind of files (.avi, .mkv, .jpg, etc.) comprise
the "huge number of files"?
3.  What is the retention requirements for the VM?  Hours, days, weeks,
years?
4.  How does the VM see the disks:  via Diskstore or RDM?

Wayne's comment of using the Snap Mirror/Snap Vault is good if you have a
second NetApp to snap the data to.  This is good for short term data
protection especially if that second NetApp is at a offsite facility.

NetBackup has a feature that allow you to backup the VMDK file itself
(which is very efficient for data streaming) but will actually index the
files inside the VMDK allowing for file level restores or restoring the
entire VMDK.

If you can respond to the questions above, I bet we can come up with
options for you.