Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] options for reporting other than OpsCenter?

2012-07-17 16:54:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] options for reporting other than OpsCenter?
From: Rusty Major <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:54:43 -0500
Hey, Dennis, I was going to plug Aptare but see that Jerry beat me to it.
;)

We actually had a bakeoff between Aptare and several other tools,
including Profiler, and we didn't find Profiler to be any more user
friendly than everything else out there. If you want a custom report out
of Aptare you will need to know some SQL, but they at least use views and
a real database so you aren't rewriting your queries every update. Some
tools don't do that (and I don't know about Profiler in this regard...this
is more of a stab at OpsCenter).

I find your last comment interesting. Are you stating that running the
backups commands to get the info is a bad thing, or am I reading that
wrong?

Thank you,
Rusty