Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice / Experience - NetApp and NBU

2012-05-10 09:14:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice / Experience - NetApp and NBU
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:13:29 -0400

You will need to license one or both of your NetApp controllers depending on the model, which corresponds to “tier” of NetBackup license. I believe our 2040s require a single tier-2 license, but our 3160s(?) require two tier-3 licenses. If I may, I suggest that you look into snapmirror to tape and snapshots. Snapmirror to tape requires the NDMP license for NetBackup, but does not require any additional licenses on the NetApp.

Snapmirror to tape will allow you to backup your 8TB very quickly, but it won’t allow you to do individual file restores. To counter that, we keep several weeks of snapshots available on the array. If a user needs a file they can go into a hidden .snapshot folder and see the folder structure as it existed at the time of snapshot. If they need any data older than that, we have to restore the entire volume from tape. It’s not perfect, but we haven’t had to restore a single volume here (other than for testing) and our users get to go hunt for their own files to “restore” (aka copy from snapshot) which it about as good as it gets for me here.

Good luck!

-Jonathan